| The textile industry is the prime
mover of home industrialization.
It also is a pivotal industry in exportation.
- The textile industry was designated as a strategic industry
for export promotion according to the Five-year Economic
Development Program early in the 1960's.
- It has occupied about 40% of Korea's exports in the
1960's, while occupying some 12.5% as of 1998.
- In 1987, the textile industry made a record of the total
export up to several hundred million dollars as a single
industry first in the Korean history of exportation.
This industry played the role of locomotive for the growth
of national economy.
- More than 17,000 small or large textile companies are
fostered in this industry.
- As for employment, 3 of 10 persons are engaged in related
Korea is one of the worldwide textile industrial
Korea also is the fifth-ranked textile exporting country
in the world.
- Status of Korea following China, Italy, Germany and
- Accumulating the proper technology and skills basing
on the artisan spirit of its own, Korea has the highest
capacity for production technology in the world, and
secures the expert manpower of superior ability.
And Korea holds the even base of production and the
automation technology with new advanced installations.
- Securing a balanced production base for all items
of yarn, raw fabrics and even clothing products.
- Korea stands at the 4th place in the world for chemical
fibers, the 14th place for cotton spinning, and the
7th place for weaving, respectively.
- The automation with advanced installations brings
the maximization of productive labor force, the development
of the age of unmanned factories.
The securing of updated technology
- Korea holds the technology of spinning yarn as thin
as a hair (14.7 micron).
- Together with the best finishing technology in the
The textile industry is an industry of demand-creative
and advanced country type.
7 of 10 textile exporting countries in the world rank
among the advanced countries.
- Including U.S., Japan, Italy, France, etc.
- Korea fosters the textile industry as a national policy
business, applying the fashion industry and the high
The textile industry also is an industry of brand value
- In industrial fields, this industry presents the highest
index of brand value to permit an easy extension of
Taegu is the best textile-producing district
Taegue is a city which the textile industry presents
the highest concentricity of producing districts in
Korea and is given much weight in local economy, so
the citizens of Taegu have an attachment to this industry
along with a strong will to foster it. This city holds
a worldwide competitiveness in the category of textiles.
- Through continued facility investment, this city developed,
particularly, the dyeing and textile machinery industries.
- This city is at the top producer and exporter of the
world in the category of chemical fibers and textiles.
- It occupies 70.3% of the total number of looms in
Korea, and 43.7% of the Korea's chemical fiber productivity
as of 1997.